I’m not one for making New Year’s resolutions but on a regular basis, I reflect on how I can improve my skills and then I take action so that I can be my best self. Most of us want to be an optimal human being. My intrinsic goals are to be a great wife, a reliable friend and an outstanding businesswoman. I want my clients to rely on my ability to deliver incredible customer experiences everyday.
I love working with youth and I have the privilege to mentor high school students who often ask me how best to make personal improvements. Here are a few ideas that I give them:
- After making a decision about the goals you will take on, embrace it with all of your being—own it. Have a mantra that reinforces the thing that you want to conquer, i.e., “I will become proficient in Algebra by the end of the school year”; “I will volunteer 3 hours per week in my community”; “I will become 50% more proficient in my Spanish class by the end of the semester”;
- Everyone must take responsibility for their choices so give thoughtful consideration to the goals you set. Be prepared to change them if necessary.
- Unplug from social media. Take time to pen a note to a relative, share your ideas in a face-to-face chat with a community leader
- Strive toward higher goals that will allow you to be of service to others.
- Try something that you didn’t think you would successfully accomplish. When I was younger, I admired those who could draw and sketch. Recently, I began sketching. The outcome is still awful but I am enjoying it!! Although I am no Lorna Simpson, over time, I believe that my skill will improve but my intention is to enjoy the process.
This year, make it your business to focus on the process of becoming better in all aspects of your life. Be brave. Be adventurous. You can become whatever you want in 2017 and beyond! So, whatever you do, do it with class, style and excellence.
Photo courtesy of Google Images